SC Johnson recognized for its leadership in cutting carbon pollution with Climate Leadership Award for Excellence in Greenhouse Gas Management
February 29, 2012
– National Award Honors Companies that Demonstrate Leadership in Addressing Climate Change
SC Johnson announced it has received a Climate Leadership Award for Excellence in Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Management (Goal Achievement). The inaugural Climate Leadership Awards recognize corporate, organizational and individual leadership in addressing climate change and reducing GHGs. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Association of Climate Change Officers (ACCO), the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES) (formerly the Pew Center on Global Climate Change) and The Climate Registry (TCR) will present the awards at the Climate Leadership Conference Awards Gala in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
“As a family company, SC Johnson has a long standing commitment to the environment, and it’s such an honor to be recognized for our efforts in greenhouse gas reduction,” said Fisk Johnson, SC Johnson Chairman and CEO. “Over the past decade, we have reduced our greenhouse gas emissions by more than 26 percent worldwide, but we know there is still more work to be done. We will continue to raise the bar by setting additional goals and holding ourselves accountable.”
From setting and exceeding aggressive emissions reduction goals, to reducing the emissions associated with shipping goods, the first inaugural Climate Leadership Awards recognize organizations that are improving efficiency, identifying energy- and cost-saving opportunities, and reducing pollution.
“I commend SC Johnson on its exemplary leadership in cutting carbon pollution that harms our climate and threatens our health,” said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Air and Radiation. "SC Johnson and all of our Climate Leadership Award winners demonstrate that organizations who are taking action to mitigate climate change are also operating more efficiently, more innovatively and more competitively.”
A Long Standing Commitment to Sustainability
Leading in sustainability has been fundamental to how SC Johnson has operated for decades. Over the last five years, the company has made major strides driving environmental change by cutting its GHG emissions by more than 26 percent. Other initiatives that demonstrate the company’s commitment to renewable energy include:
• SC Johnson’s largest global factory, based in Mount Pleasant, Wis., is partially powered with cogeneration using methane gas from a local public landfill. The company also recently announced a project to install wind turbines to generate the remaining energy.
• In Bay City, Mich., nearly half of the electricity needed to power the company’s plant comes from wind power.
• At the company’s manufacturing facility in Medan, Indonesia, waste palm shells are burned as a substitute for fuel, reducing the company’s diesel fuel usage by 80 percent.
• In Mijdrecht, The Netherlands, the company’s largest European manufacturing facility is operated by an 80-meter-tall wind turbine which eliminates 3,500 – 4,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide annually.
• The company installed three SWIFT mini wind turbines on the corporate headquarters campus in Racine, Wis. in 2010 as a pilot program, with the goal of reducing GHG emissions while at the same time raising awareness that renewable energy can be used in urban settings.
In addition to its GHG reductions, through efforts like these, 40 percent of SC Johnson’s total electricity usage worldwide comes from renewable energy.
More information about the Climate Leadership Awards and award winners: http://www.epa.gov/climateleaders/awards/index.html
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family-owned and managed business dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, and MR. MUSCLE®. The 126-year-old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs approximately 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com