Jones Soda reports fiscal Q3 loss of US$1.7M; revenue falls 2% year-over-year to US$5M
November 10, 2011
– Jones Soda Co. (the Company) (NASDAQ: JSDA - News), a leader in the premium soda category and known for its unique branding and innovative marketing, today announced results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2011.
Revenue for the third quarter 2011 was $5.0 million compared to revenue of $5.1 million for the third quarter 2010. The Company reported a net loss of $1.7 million, or ($0.05) per share, for the third quarter of 2011, compared to a net loss of $578,000, or ($0.02) per share, for the third quarter 2010.
“Sales of our core products, Jones Soda and WhoopAss Energy Drink, in North America increased 7% for the quarter compared to the prior year, which we believe is the result of our strengthened distribution footprint. This increase helped to partially offset the effects to our top-line that resulted in part from the strategy to discontinue underperforming product offerings and focus on our core products,” commented William Meissner, President & Chief Executive Officer. “We are pleased that our strategies to grow our business in our core products coupled with our strategic reinvestment in our sales personnel are taking hold, and we believe we are on track for 2011 to achieve low double digit annual revenue growth in our North American core products compared to 2010. We remain optimistic that demand for our core products will continue as we move into 2012, while operating expense leverage will help create a sustainable business for the long-term with improved bottom line performance.”
Third Quarter Review — Comparison of Quarters Ended September 30, 2011 and 2010
* Revenue decreased 3% to $5.0 million, compared to $5.1 million last year, and included a decline compared to the prior year resulting from the discontinuation in the second half of 2010 of underperforming product lines and certain Jones Soda SKU offerings (stock keeping units), initiated in the second half of 2010, of approximately $339,000 of total revenue compared to the prior year period. Partially offsetting this decline was an increase in core product revenue in North America of $315,000 compared to the third quarter a year ago. Core products include WhoopAss Energy Drink and continuing Jones Soda SKU offerings.
* Gross profit decreased 15% to $1.2 million, or 24% of revenue, compared to $1.4 million, or 27% of revenue, last year and was negatively impacted by a rise in fuel and logistics costs during the third quarter of 2011 compared to the same period in the prior year.
* Operating expenses increased 20% to $2.8 million compared to $2.4 million last year, mostly driven by increased selling expenses due to investments in added sales personnel to support our growth strategy.
* Net loss was $1.7 million, or ($0.05) per share, compared to a net loss of $578,000, or ($0.02) per share, last year. The prior year period was benefited by a tax refund of $392,000 allowed in 2010 resulting from our Canadian operations, which reduced the net loss for the prior year.
Year-to-Date Review – Comparison of Nine Month Periods Ended September 30, 2011 and 2010
* Revenue decreased 3% to $14.0 million, compared to $14.4 million last year, primarily due to a decline compared to the prior year of $1.2 million resulting from the discontinuation, in the second half of 2010, of underperforming product lines and certain Jones Soda SKU offerings. Partially offsetting this decline was an increase in core product revenue in North America of approximately $1.4 million compared to the same period a year ago.
* Gross profit increased 3% to $3.6 million, or 26% of revenue, compared to $3.5 million, or 24% of revenue, last year. Gross profit for the 2010 period was negatively impacted by the write-down of excess GABA inventory totaling $344,000.
* Operating expenses increased 9% to $8.8 million compared to $8.1 million last year and included a $350,000 charge accrued to the second quarter in connection with the termination of our New Jersey Nets sponsorship agreement in August 2011.
* Net loss was $5.2 million, or ($0.16) per share, compared to a net loss of $4.3 million, or ($0.16) per share, last year. The prior year period was benefited by a tax refund of $392,000 allowed in 2010 resulting from our Canadian operations, which reduced the net loss for the prior year.
The Company will discuss its results for the quarter ended September 30, 2011 and its business outlook on its scheduled conference call today, November 10, 2011 at 1:30 p.m., Pacific time (4:30 p.m. ET). This call is being webcast and can be accessed by visiting the Investor section of our website at www.jonessoda.com. Investors may also listen to the call via telephone by dialing (719) 325-2138 (confirmation code: 1045961). In addition, a telephone replay will be available by dialing (858) 384-5517 (confirmation code: 1045961) through November 17, 2011, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
About Jones Soda Co.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Jones Soda Co.® markets and distributes premium beverages under the Jones Soda, Jones Pure Cane Soda® and WhoopAss Energy Drink® brands and sells through its distribution network, which it refers to as its direct store delivery (DSD) channel, in markets primarily across North America. A leader in the premium soda category, Jones is known for its variety of flavors and innovative labeling technique that incorporates always-changing photos sent in from its consumers. Jones Soda is sold through traditional beverage retailers. For more information, visit www.jonessoda.com or www.myjones.com.
© 2021 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.