Michigan's Spartan Stores introduces new locally made premium ice cream in four flavors; eight additional seasonal flavors to be carried for a limited time throughout the year
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan
December 13, 2010
– When it comes to 'Made in America,' ice cream wins hands down. According to the International Dairy Foods Association, about 1.54 billion gallons of ice cream were produced in 2008,(1) of which, the United States leads the world in annual production of ice cream at about 1.5 billion gallons.(2) 2008 sales totaled $4.2 billion,(3) with ice cream and related frozen desserts consumed by more than 90% of households in the United States.(4)
This is all good news for Michiganders. Grand Rapids-based Spartan Stores announced today the introduction of its new Michigan-made Indulgent Creations premium ice cream. Four Indulgent Creations will be available year round through Spartan Stores D&W Fresh Market, Family Fare, Felpausch, Glen's Market, and VG's Stores, as well as through nearly 400 independent stores in Michigan and Northern Indiana selling Spartan Stores brand products. The four core flavors include: Double Vanilla, Toasted Butter Pecan, Mint Chip, and Double Dark Chocolate.
8 Seasonal Flavors
Eight additional seasonal flavors will be carried for a limited time only throughout the year, including 'Just in time for the Holidays' – White Christmas, a mint flavored ice cream made with candy holiday shapes (Stockings and Christmas trees.)
The seasonal flavors are planned to change as our seasons change. For example, in the summer months you can look forward to Michigan Blueberry and Peaches & Cream flavors. In the fall, Honey & Caramel and Apple Pie will hit the freezers. Additional seasonal flavors include Brownies & Fudge and Cafe Mocha. Most seasonal flavors are scheduled to be available in stores for three months. However, White Christmas will only be available only through December.
According to Alan Hartline, Executive Vice President Merchandising and Marketing, "Spartan Indulgent Creations are made in Michigan and many of its finest flavorings and ingredients are sourced locally. Supporting Michigan companies and farmers is extremely important to Spartan Stores and we're very pleased that we have West Michigan connections for this premium line of ice cream. Great care and attention go into perfecting this luscious ice cream to get the thick and rich consistency. It is made with more butter fat and less air than regular ice cream, making it thick and rich." Indulgent Creations will retail for $4.59 – coupons are available at www.turntospartan.com.
About Spartan Stores
Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Spartan Stores, Inc., (Nasdaq:SPTN - News) is the nation's eleventh largest grocery distributor with warehouse facilities in Grand Rapids and Plymouth, Michigan. The Company distributes more than 40,000 private brand and national brand products to approximately 365 independent grocery stores in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. Spartan Stores also owns and operates 97 retail supermarkets in Michigan, including Family Fare Supermarkets, Glen's Markets, D&W Fresh Markets, Felpausch Food Centers and VG's Food and Pharmacy.
(1) International Dairy Foods Association, http://www.idfa.org/news--views/media-kits/ice-cream/ice-cream-sales-and-trends/
(2) United States Department of Agriculture http://www.idfa.org/news--views/media-kits/ice-cream/ice-cream-sales-and-trends/
(3) International Dairy Foods Association, http://www.idfa.org/news--views/media-kits/ice-cream/ice-cream-sales-and-trends/
(4) Mintel, http://www.idfa.org/news--views/media-kits/ice-cream/ice-cream-sales-and-trends/