IDEAlliance expands digital press certification program to include wide-format inkjet systems, evaluating for print, production and application quality
July 11, 2014
– Expanding its current Digital Press Certification Program, IDEAlliance now offers a Wide/Grand Format Inkjet System Certification program.
The IDEAlliance Wide/Grand Format Inkjet System Certification Program evaluates original equipment manufacturers’ roll-fed and flatbed large format printing systems. Systems are evaluated for printing, production, and application qualities for a specific ink and media combination. Results of the program informs prospective and current users of large format technologies on which system best meets their production and market needs, as well as how to achieve consistent quality from their printing systems.
Submissions are evaluated for:
1. Color Gamut
2. Color Management (Color Accuracy)
6. Ink Film Adhesion or Rub Resistance
7. Weathering (either indoor or outdoor)
8. Ink Film Flexibility (only for flexible substrate)
9. Printing Speed
10. Ink Consumption
Other information Included in Published Results
12. RIP Features and Functionality
13. Substrate (vendor and type)
14. Inks (types and ink set information)
Large format inkjet printing systems are used in a variety of applications including point-of-purchase, display, vehicle wrap, and much more. This validation program consists of testing and certification in print quality, production efficiency, and application quality. In the certificate process, suppliers print test forms according to specified criteria. The printed forms are sent to Cal Poly University, where they are measured and compared against predetermined tolerances. The choice of color gamut is strongly related to the combination of ink and media and viewing distance, so for this certification program, there is no predefined color gamut. See left menu for links and downloads.