Appleton Coated presents winners of its U360 Design Competition 2014 in its online gallery; winning entries were based on printed commucations and 'exemplify work that's worth the paper it's printed on,' says company's marketing manager
COMBINED LOCKS, Wisconsin
June 3, 2014
– Appleton Coated congratulates the U360 Design Competition’s 2014 winners and presents them in its online gallery at appletoncoated.com and in “U Made,” the printed showbook. Five creative professionals from the Appleton Coated Design Council evaluated over 300 entries and selected the best examples demonstrating the impact of well-executed print.
“We celebrate the art of print communication and marvel at the effort that elevates it,” says Ferkó X. Goldinger, Appleton Coated’s marketing manager. “These visionary victors use deft design to bring ideas to order and transform doodles into delights. U360’s winning entries exemplify work that’s worth the paper it’s printed on; work that bends print to its creative will and makes a lasting impression that leaves a mark.”
Now in its fifth year, U360 celebrates design, content and printing excellence, and all that paper makes possible. Appleton Coated introduced U360 in 2009 as a new, professionally reviewed North American competition. It evolved from the successful legacy of U B the Judge event-based, peer-judged format.
Submissions to the 2015 U360 Competition must be printed all, or in part, on Utopia and/or Curious Collection, accompanied by a completed entry form, and produced in 2014. Entries for the 2015 U360 Design Competition are due Dec. 5, 2014. Special awards honor entries in the categories of Best of Show, Design Excellence, Print Excellence, Communication Excellence and Regional Excellence.
Best of Show
“The School of the Art Institute of Chicago’s Fashion 2013 Branding Campaign;” designed by Faust, Chicago; printed by Rider Dickerson, Bellwood, Illinois; paper grades are U1X Silk 80-pound cover and Utopia Two Matte 100-pound text.
“To me, Utopia is ubiquitous to luxury… when designing for fashion, I can think of no better surface for my ink to set upon. It allows the photos to look their best and provides a touch that reinforces the first impression,” stated Bob Faust, principal of Faust.
Design Excellence Awards
• “SL Green Realty Corp. 2012 Annual Report;” designed by OTTO, New York; printed by Digital Color Concepts, New York; paper grade is U1X Silk 100-pound cover and text.
“We chose U1X paper for its brightness, performance and feel, and because it addresses our desire to be environmentally responsible,” said David Kohler, principal of OTTO.
• “Doug’s Gym” for Dick Patrick Photography; designed by The Matchbox Studio, Dallas; printed by Broadnax Printing, Dallas; paper grade is Utopia Premium Ivory Silk 95-pound text.
“Utopia is our go-to sheet here at the studio because it’s always reliable, holds color really well, and is at a good price point. It’s a bonus that along with great paper, we get to work with great people,” noted Zach Hale, graphic designer with The Matchbox Studio.
Print Excellence Award
“Automotive Jewelry Volume 1;” designed for and by Coachbuilt Press, Philadelphia; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; photography by Michael Furman; paper grade is Utopia Two Matte 100-pound text.
“I thought the paper would support and complement the images and elevate the book to more of an objet d’art vs. another ‘nice book.’ Utopia Two Matte offers a softer, more aesthetic feel, yet upholds critical reproduction values,” praised Bob Tursack, CEO of Brilliant Graphics.
Communication Excellence Award
• “150 East 72nd Street” for Macklowe Properties; designed by Massimo Vignelli with Yoshiki Waterhouse, Vignelli Associates; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; paper grade is Utopia Two Matte 100-pound text.
• “The Leap Year Project;” designed by Grip Design, Chicago; printed by Graphic Arts Studio, Barrington, Illinois; paper grades are Utopia Two Dull 120-pound cover and Utopia Two Matte 100-pound text.
“Because the book was so image and color intensive, Utopia Two Matte was the perfect choice for the body. It offered an almost uncoated paper-like tactility, plus the ability to handle large areas of solid color and retain the integrity of the photography. It really is the perfect platform for this project,” observed principal of Kelly Kaminski, of Grip Design.
The additional 2014 winning entries are:
• “Supreme Models Show Package” for Supreme Management; designed by Kiel Kong Art Direction & Design, New York; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; paper grade is Utopia two Matte 80-pound cover.
• “Fort Worth Opera;” designed by The Matchbox Studio, Dallas; printed by Broadnax Printing, Dallas; paper grade is Utopia Two Gloss 100-pound cover and text.
• “Canadian Olympic Team” for Hudson’s Bay; designed by Arcade Agency, Toronto; printed by Broadnax Printing, Dallas; paper grade is SKIN Curious Collection Black 141-pound cover.
• “Haworth Collection” for Haworth, Inc.; designed by Plenty, Grand Rapids, Michigan; printed by Custom Printers, Grand Rapids, Michigan; paper grades are SKIN Curious Collection Black 141-pound cover and Curious Translucents Pearl 53-pound cover.
• “RMA 9 River Gala Invite Package;” designed for and by the Rubin Museum of Art, New York; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; paper grade is Utopia Premium Ivory Silk 110-pound cover.
• “MY14 Lincoln MKZ Brochure & Letter” for Lincoln Motor Company; designed by Latcha & Associates, Farmington Hills, Michigan; printed by Hennegan, Florence, Kentucky; paper grade is U1X Silk in 80- and 120-pound cover and 100-pound text.
• “The Soufan Group Campaign;” designed by Gladstone Media, Inc., Toronto, Ontario; printed by C.J. Graphics Inc., Toronto, Ontario; paper grades are SKIN Curious Collection Black 141-pound cover and Curious Translucents Bright White 27-pound text.
• “Fall ’13 Timberland Catalog;” designed for and by Timberland, Stratham, New Hampshire; printed by RR Donnelley, Danville, Kentucky; paper grade is U2:XG Matte 80-pound cover and text.
• “Cadillac CTS-V 2014;” designed by Fallon, Minneapolis; printed by Lithographix, Los Angeles; paper grade is U1X Gloss 100-pound cover and text.
• “Guess Holiday 2013;” designed for and by Guess, Los Angeles; printed by Primary Color, El Segundo, California; paper grade is Utopia One Dull 100-pound cover and text.
• “388 Bridge Street Package” for Stahl Development; designed by dBox, New York; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; papr grade is U1X Sillk 120-pound cover and 100-pound cover and text.
• “Joseph Abboud Spring/Summer 2013 Look Book;” designed by Yard NYC, New York; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; paper grade is Utopia Premium Gloss 100-pound text.
• “I-Bike 2013 MSP Artcrank;” designed for and by Blue Torpedo, Minneapolis; printed by Big Table Studio, Saint Paul, Minnesota; paper grade is Curious Cosmic Pulsar Red 133-pound cover.
• “Olnick Spanu Books: Esposito and Bagnoli” for Olnick Spanu Collection; designed by Yoshiki Waterhouse, New York; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; paper grade is Utopia Two Matte 100-pound text.
• “Annual Carlson Holiday Fiesta” for Carlson; designed by The Matchbox Studio, Dallas; printed by United Group Printing, Dallas; paper grade is Curious Particles Snow 80-pound text.
• “Temple University Honors Yield Piece;” designed for and by Temple University, Philadelphia; printed by Offset Impressions, Reading, Pennsylvania; paper grade is Utopia Two Dull 80-pound cover.
Entries receiving regional excellence include:
• East – “Gotham Organization Campaign;” designed by Yard NYC, New York; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pennsylvania; paper grades are Utopia Premium Gloss 150-pound cover and 100-pound text, and Utopia Two Matte 65-pound cover.
• West – “Minnesota Greeting Cards” for McIntosh Embossing, Inc.; designed by Blue Torpedo, Minneapolis; printed by McInstosh Embossing, Inc., Minneapolis; paper grades are Curious Particles Haze and Snow 80-pound cover, SKIN Curious Collection Stone 100-pound cover, Curious Cosmic Mercury Pearl and Blue Planet 133-pound cover, and Curious Metallics Cryogen White 89-pound cover, Chocolate 111-pound cover and Lustre 80-pound text.
The 2013-2014 Appleton Coated Design Council members include:
• John Connolly, principal and creative director at Ideas on Purpose in New York
• Dana Lytle, founder, principal and design director at Planet Propaganda, Madison, Wisconsin
• Vicky Jones, president of Brand Fever in Atlanta
• Fritz Klaetke, principal and design director of Visual Dialogue in Boston
• Ray Talamo, director of design at Roger Williams University’s Department of Marketing Communications, Bristol, Rhode Island
For more information about Appleton Coated’s U360 Competition, Showbook, or Utopia and Curious Collection, visit appletoncoated.com and CuriousPapers.com.
Appleton Coated offers the most comprehensive line-up of premium, coated papers available today marketed under the Utopia brand. From the elegance of Premium to hardworking Utopia Three, the Utopia family of coated papers offers six ways to ignite a passion for paper and the environment. The Curious Collection of fine papers are manufactured by Arjowiggins, headquartered in Paris, France, and distributed exclusively in North America by Appleton Coated. Appleton Coated is headquartered in Combined Locks, Wisconsin.