German chemical industry's Q1 production up 4.2% year-over-year; full-year production expected to rise 2%, sales expected to climb 1.5% to €193.5B

, May 19, 2014 () – The German chemical industry has made a good start to 2014. European business was up but demand from the US and Asia fell. There is restrained optimism. Full-year production is expected to be up 2% and sales are expected to be up 1.5% at EUR 193.5 bn. Production in 1Q was down 0.8% on the previous quarter but was up 4.2% on a year earlier. There was strong demand for fine and speciality chemicals and production rose more than 5%. Sales at home were up 3% on 4Q 2013. Foreign sales fell 1.5% to EUR 28.5 bn, but this was still up 3.5% on 1Q 2013. Overall, sales were up 5% at EUR 46.8 bn.

* All content is copyrighted by Industry Intelligence, or the original respective author or source. You may not recirculate, redistrubte or publish the analysis and presentation included in the service without Industry Intelligence's prior written consent. Please review our terms of use.