Global bioplastics market expected to grow to about 6.2 million tonnes of production capacity/year in 2017, up from about 1.4 million tonnes in 2012; about 0.2% of global agricultural area to be used for bioplastics feedstock: European Bioplastics

BERLIN , December 12, 2013 (press release) – The bioplastics market is predicted to grow from around 1.4 million tonnes (annual production capacity) in 2012 to approximately 6.2 million tonnes in 2017. Even if considering these growth rates, the actual land used for sourcing re-newable feedstock for bioplastics will amount only to approximately 0.02 percent of the global agricultural area. This is the conclusion of the latest market forecast which the industry association European Bioplastics publishes annually in cooperation with the Institute for Bioplastics and Biocomposites of the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Hannover in Germany.

“Our market data update once more affirms above average growth in the bioplastics indus-try around the world“, said François de Bie, Chairman of the Board of European Bioplastics. “Continuous growth can be expected with regard to all bioplastic material types and in a range of very diverse market segments – from packaging to fibres to consumer electronics.”

By far the strongest gain is expected in the biobased, non-biodegradable bioplastics group. Biobased versions of bulk plastics like PE and PET1 in particular are significantly increasing capacities. These so-called ‘drop-in’ solutions differ from their conventional counterparts only in terms of their renewable raw material base. Biodegradable plastics, which e.g. support
biowaste collection and thereby increase waste stream efficiency, are also demonstrating im-pressive growth rates. Their production capacity will gain around 60 percent by 2017.

The packaging market will remain the leading segment for bioplastics applications. Here, the bioplastics industry offers a growing range of mature applications - much-needed new solutions that contribute to reducing the dependency on fossil feedstock, to minimising the carbon footprint of packaging and that offer additional recovery and recycling options. While
packaging is still the leading market segment, other very different segments are gaining in strength, in particular consumer electronics, automotive, and the fibre market.

Regional development – EU and beyond

As a growing industrial sector bioplastics have the potential to provide additional jobs in Eu-rope. The industry’s engagement, especially in rural areas that might otherwise suffer from economic decline, leads to increasing employment opportunities. A European knowledge base growing around the bioplastics industry can help provide highly skilled employment for generations.

European Bioplastics’ current data shows that Europe and North America remain interesting as locations for research and development and also important as sales markets. However, the establishment of new production capacities is favoured in South America and Asia. “In order to stay competitive along the complete bioplastics value chain, Europe needs to step up its game. We call upon the European Commission to establish a level-playing field for the biobased industries in Europe and a clear cut policy framework for promising markets such as
bioplastics”, said de Bie in light of the current forecast.

1 Biobased PET is containing biobased monoethylene glycol (MEG). MEG accounts for about 30 percent of the PET equation; purified terephthalic acid, or PTA, makes up the remaining 70 percent.

More information:
Market data info visuals can be downloaded in English and German at:
http://en.european-bioplastics.org/press/press-pictures/labelling-logos-charts/

European Bioplastics publications and positions:
http://en.european-bioplastics.org/multimedia/

More data and visual information provided by our partner IfBB is available free of cost at:
http://www.downloads.ifbb-hannover.de/

European Bioplastics is the European association representing the interests of the industry along the complete bioplastics‘ value chain. Its members produce, refine and distribute bioplastics i.e. plastics that are either biobased, biodegradable, or both. More information is available at www.european-bioplastics.org

Click here to see full release.

* All content is copyrighted by Industry Intelligence, or the original respective author or source. You may not recirculate, redistrubte or publish the analysis and presentation included in the service without Industry Intelligence's prior written consent. Please review our terms of use.