Amazon announces top 10 best-selling print books and e-books of 2012, list includes 'Fifty Shades Free' by E. L. James, 'Gone Girl: A Novel' by Gillian Flynn, and 'Fifty Shades Trilogy' boxset by E. L. James
December 14, 2012
– “Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy” is the best-selling book overall; contemporary romance novels capture 5 of the top 10 spots
“The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3)” is the best-selling Kids & Teens book of 2012
Amazon.com, Inc. today announced the top 10 best-selling books of 2012 overall (print and Kindle combined), as well as the top 10 Kids & Teens books. “Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy” takes the top spot, and thriller “Gone Girl” comes in at number two; “The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3)” is the best-selling Kids & Teens book. These top 10 lists take into account first editions that were published in 2012, consider only paid units, and combine print and Kindle formats. To see these lists and all of Amazon’s top 100 best-selling print and Kindle books of 2012, go to www.amazon.com/bestsellingbooks2012.
“No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden”
“This was truly the year of the billionaire bad boy in romance—Amazon readers just couldn’t get enough of the genre,” said Sara Nelson, Editorial Director of Books and Kindle at Amazon.com. “While E. L. James published the first two books in her Fifty Shades trilogy in 2011, so they aren’t eligible for our 2012 list, the series really took off this year and propelled the third installment and the omnibus edition onto our top 10 list. It’s also interesting to note that four of the five contemporary romance titles in the top 10 list, including the Fifty Shades trilogy, were originally independently published and went on to become huge best sellers.”
The top 10 best-selling books overall are:
1. “Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy” by E. L. James
2. “Gone Girl: A Novel” by Gillian Flynn
3. “Fifty Shades Trilogy: Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed 3-volume Boxed Set” by E. L. James
4. “Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel” by Sylvia Day
5. “No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden” by Mark Owen
6. “The Marriage Bargain (Marriage to a Billionaire)” by Jennifer Probst
7. “Reflected in You: A Crossfire Novel” by Sylvia Day
8. “The Racketeer” by John Grisham
9. “Defending Jacob: A Novel” by William Landay
10. “The Innocent” by David Baldacci
The top 10 best-selling Kids & Teens books are:
1. “The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, Book 3)” by Rick Riordan
2. “The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 7)” by Jeff Kinney
3. “Insurgent (Divergent)” by Veronica Roth
4. “The Serpent’s Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, Book 3)” by Rick Riordan
5. “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green
6. “City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments)” by Cassandra Clare
7. “While it Lasts” by Abbi Glines
8. “The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, Book 3)” by Pittacus Lore
9. “Wonder” by R. J. Palacio
10. “Nevermore: The Final Maximum Ride Adventure (Book 8)” by James Patterson
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle Paperwhite is the most-advanced e-reader ever constructed with 62% more pixels and 25% increased contrast, a patented built-in front light for reading in all lighting conditions, extra-long battery life, and a thin and light design. The new latest generation Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, now features new, improved fonts and faster page turns. Kindle Fire HD features a stunning custom high-definition display, exclusive Dolby audio with dual stereo speakers, high-end, laptop-grade Wi-Fi with dual-band support, dual-antennas and MIMO for faster streaming and downloads, enough storage for HD content, and the latest generation processor and graphics engine—and it is available in two display sizes—7” and 8.9”. The large-screen Kindle Fire HD is also available with 4G wireless, and comes with a groundbreaking $49.99 introductory 4G LTE data package. The all-new Kindle Fire features a 20% faster processor, 40% faster performance, twice the memory, and longer battery life.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es and www.amazon.com.br. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
© 2017 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.