Nigerian government to ban rice imports within four years, citing increase in production

BENUE, Nigeria , December 11, 2012 () – The Nigerian government on Tuesday announced that it would ban importation of rice into the West African country within four years with the increase of local production.

Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Akinwunmi Adesina made the government position known at the opening ceremony of a three -day summit and exhibition, organized by Africa Farming Project (AFP) for northern Nigeria.

The minister said the ban would be enforced within the next four years because Nigerian farmers would be producing more than enough rice that could effectively cater for the needs of Nigerians.

Adesina told his audience that the surplus would be sold to other countries, adding that importing food stuff into the country did not speak well of a country like Nigeria.

He added that this was because Nigeria had been featuring prominently in the world market as a result of agriculture boom in the 1960s and the early 1970s.

He urged Nigerians not to believe the speculation that there would be severe famine in 2013 as a result of the recent flood disaster.

Adesina said the government had made adequate preparations to tackle food crisis of whatever magnitude.

The minister said there would be enough food in 2013 as food items were stored in silos across the country.

Adesina said the flood only affected small portions of farm lands with marginal effect on food production in the country.

According to him, the disaster mostly affected residential buildings and public organizations.

(c) 2012 Xinhua News Agency

* All content is copyrighted by Industry Intelligence, or the original respective author or source. You may not recirculate, redistrubte or publish the analysis and presentation included in the service without Industry Intelligence's prior written consent. Please review our terms of use.