Sixty percent of American mothers will be cooking on Mother's Day, survey shows; 44% say it's because they want their kids to eat a healthy meal, 40% say it's because they have no other option
May 1, 2012
– When it comes to Mother's Day meals, it is not surprising that 87% of the more than 760 moms that took part in the Freschetta® Pizza Rally for Real Moms survey that took place from April 17-19, 2012 do not want to cook. What is surprising is that the survey revealed that six out of ten moms (60%) will be in the kitchen on this special day. Some said it's because their husbands do not know how to cook (16%), while others stated they want their kids to eat a healthy meal (44%) and four out ten (40%) revealed they truly have no other option besides cooking for themselves and their family.
"This Mother's Day and every day, the makers of Freschetta® pizza are Rallying for Real Moms by helping to make meals simple, without sacrificing real, flavorful ingredients," said Stacy Bergmann, Senior Manager Brand Marketing. "We are excited to partner with real moms to bring to light how they really feel about motherhood and Mother's Day through the Rally for Real Moms campaign and video."
As part of the Freschetta® Pizza Rally for Real Moms campaign, Schwan's Consumer Brands will release a video today starring real moms from across the country. Moms pulled back the curtain to reveal the "real deal" about what it's like to be a mom and how they really feel about Mother's Day.
View the video here:
The Freschetta® Pizza Rally for Real Moms campaign also uncovered more surprising findings including:
What it Means to Be a Mom
* Is That in My Job Description? - While being a mom doesn't come with a job description, three-quarters of those polled (75%) stated motherhood is not at all what they expected.
* Truth Be Told - While more than eight out of ten (81%) moms admitted motherhood is much harder than expected -- 92% agreed being a mom is also more fulfilling than expected.
* Diamonds vs. Diapers - Almost all moms surveyed would NOT give up motherhood for anything including The Crown Jewels (99%), to become a celebrity (98%) or even a trip around the world (98%).
* Not So "REAL"ity - When asked what celebrity moms represented "real, hands-on" moms, nearly 80% of survey respondents selected Reese Witherspoon.
What Moms Really Want for Mother's Day
* With or Without Kids on Mother's Day? - The majority of moms (83%) plan to spend Mother's Day surrounded by their family versus 17% that consider it time to chill out alone.
* Momentous Mother's Days - Those surveyed ranked their first Mother's Day as a mom (57%) as their most memorable Mother's Day.
* Most Meaningful Mother's Day Gifts - Mother's Day gifts do not have to cost a lot. Moms surveyed prefer hugs and kisses (98%), time with family (96%), homemade crafts from kids (96%) and a day of no chores or cooking (86%). On the contrary, more than eight in ten (83%) of surveyed moms stated expensive gifts such as jewelry did NOT add meaning.
Catering to Mom on Mother's Day?
* Fresh Foods For Mother's Day - Nearly three out of four (72%) surveyed moms stated it was very important to feed their families foods made from fresh, real ingredients.
* Pizza Preferred - The survey revealed that moms do not want to cook on Mother's Day so as a result, 92% would consider purchasing a Freschetta® pizza for their family to prepare on Mother's Day evening.
* Freschetta® pizza to the Mother's Day Rescue - It's no surprise that nine out of ten (90%) moms confessed that Freschetta® pizza plus family time would equal a perfect Mother's Day.
"Freschetta® pizzas offer moms a solution to get back to the heart of what they really want on Mother's Day -- spending time with their family by eliminating the need to prepare a time-intensive meal -- while still allowing them to feed their families food made from fresh, real ingredients," said Chris Leising, Senior Director Brand Marketing.
Freschetta® pizzas offer flash-frozen vegetables picked at the peak of freshness and unique blends of real cheeses and premium meats, for a deliciously fresh taste experience unlike other traditional frozen pizzas.
Rally for Real Moms Campaign
Beginning April 30 through Mother's Day on May 13, the Freschetta® Pizza Rally for Real Moms campaign is asking consumers to "Rally for Real Moms" by offering their honest opinions on what it means to be a mom and what Mother's Day truly means to them by simply joining the social media conversation via the Freschetta® pizza Facebook Fan page - http://www.facebook.com/freschettapizza.
The Rally for Real Moms campaign also includes a $1 off coupon for Freschetta® pizza at www.Freschetta.com.
About the Freschetta® Brand
Freschetta® products are part of the national brand portfolio of Schwan's Consumer Brands, Inc., the retail grocery subsidiary of The Schwan Food Company. Based in Bloomington, Minn., Schwan's Consumer Brands, Inc. has marketed and distributed premium frozen foods since 1970. Its brands include Red Baron®, Freschetta®, and Tony's® pizzas, Pagoda Express™ snacks and appetizers, Larry's® potatoes, and Mrs. Smith's® and Edwards® pies and desserts. The brands are represented in more than 50,000 retail outlets across the United States. For more information about Freschetta® products, visit www.Freschetta.com.
About The Schwan Food Company
The Schwan Food Company is a privately held, multibillion-dollar business that manufactures and markets fine frozen foods through home-delivery, retail-grocery and food-service channels. Its many popular brands include Red Baron®, Tony's®, and Freschetta® pizza, Mrs. Smith's® and Edwards® desserts and Schwan's® fine frozen foods. Based in Minnesota for nearly 60 years, the company's subsidiaries employ about 17,000 people in the United States. To learn more about Schwan, visit us at http://www.theschwanfoodcompany.com on the World Wide Web.
©2012 Schwan's Consumer Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.