Tesco launches 'Everyday Value' line of private-label products, replacing its Tesco 'Value' line, which was responsible for £1B in sales; new line emphasizes quality, healthier options, packaging improvements
April 4, 2012
– Tesco is launching a new range of brightly-packaged and brilliantly-priced food under a new brand: ‘Everyday Value’. The range will replace Tesco Value and follows extensive research with customers to understand what they want to see from a value brand today.
David Wood, Tesco UK Marketing Director said; “Tesco was the first supermarket to launch a Value range back in 1993, the blue-and-white striped brand giving customers a down-to-earth option. Almost 20 years on and an affordable quality range is more relevant than ever, but customer needs have changed.
“We have listened closely to what our customers want and Everyday Value will provide products that taste better, look better and are healthier – still at the same great price.”
Tesco is focusing on three areas with the launch of Everyday Value:
Quality - improving the quality of its Everyday Value products, at no extra cost for the customer. Tesco Everyday Value products will contain no MSG, no hydrogenated fats, no artificial flavours or colours, and no genetically modified ingredients. Other quality improvements include 100 per cent fish fillet in Everyday Value fish fingers, tea bags and instant coffee re-blended to improve the flavour and orange and lemon squash with 10 per cent more fruit juice.
Healthier options: The new range caters for customers who want healthier options – and also supports British produce. Everyday Value mince will have a lower fat content than the old Value version, Everyday Value tinned fruit will come in fruit juice instead of syrup as the new fruit harvest comes in from June, while tinned peas, beetroot and carrots will be 100 per cent British. British flour will be used to make bakery products such as pancakes, crumpets and scones.
Packaging improvements: To help customers spot the new range on the shelves, Everyday Value packaging is more colourful and softer than the blue-and-white of the old Value range. We have also improved the way it functions, including biscuits in easy-open packets, grated cheese in re-sealable bags and fruit juice in easy-pour cartons.
David Wood continues: “We apply the same standards to our Everyday Value products as we do to all our Tesco food. Customer trials of the Everyday Value range have been very positive. Customers tell us they like the new name and the new packaging.”
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors:
Tesco reviewed more than 550 lines to create the Everyday Value range
The supermarket own-label budget market is growing at 9.3pc year on year (Kantar Worldpanel data).
Tesco Value is worth £1 billion in sales.
Example of product improvements:
- - Tesco Everyday Value Orange Squash now contains 10 per cent more fruit juice
- - Tesco Everyday Value tinned fruit – will be in juice, not syrup when new season available
- - Tesco Everyday Value vegetables – three kinds of pea, beetroot and carrots will be 100 per cent British.
- - Frozen Peas- a better grade of pea
- - Yogurt, improved creamy taste in four flavours
- - Mince, reduced fat content
- - Pizza, improved pizza base and more toppings
- - Fish fingers - 100% fillet of fish
- - Baby nappies – softer with flexible sides
- - Cereals – bran flakes and corn flakes are fortified with vitamins and iron.
- - More visibility of products using transparent packaging
- - Reseal bags on grated cheese
- - Milk chocolate digestive biscuits have more chocolate and chocolate chip biscuits have 33 per cent more chocolate chips.
- - Lemon curd is more lemony – still with all-natural flavours
- - Tomato, Brown and salad cream sauces come in squeezy bottles
- - Chicken stock cubes now made with more chicken
- - Apple sauce has 33 per cent more apple
- - The chocolate swiss roll is 35 per cent bigger
- - Seasonal vegetable mix contains more carrots, which are now diced
- - Cleaning cloths are thicker and more absorbent
- - Rubber gloves have longer cuffs
- - There is 20 per cent more wax in the furniture polish
- - Dog food now has prebiotic added
- - The 10 litre cat litter bag now comes with a handle