Tablemac of Medellin, Colombia, nears completion of US$45M MDF plant in Barbosa, the country's first, plans to begin commercial production in March

LOS ANGELES , January 19, 2012 () – Colombian panel manufacturer Tablemac plans to begin commercial production at the country’s first MDF line in Barbosa, Antioquia state, in March.

The US$45 million plant has been equipped with a 132,000m3/year Dieffenbacher MDF line with a 16.4m continuous press, according to a report by Wood Based Panels International.

Tablemac is expected to sell around 70% of production in Colombia and export the remaining 30% to Central America, Panama, Mexico and Ecuador.

The particleboard and ready-to-assemble furniture producer has two existing plants in Colombia. Its MDF venture has been designated as a Special Permanent Free Trade Zone, following an application by the company in May 2010. The designation bestows tax benefits and duty-free machinery import status on the plant.

The primary source of this article is Wood Based Panels International, London, on Jan. 18, 2012.

* All content is copyrighted by Industry Intelligence, or the original respective author or source. You may not recirculate, redistrubte or publish the analysis and presentation included in the service without Industry Intelligence's prior written consent. Please review our terms of use.