Britain's government setting aside £1B to help its 1.16 million jobless 16- to 24-year-olds find work; funds will be used to create internships, pay for apprenticeships
November 25, 2011
– Britain's government has set aside 1 billion pounds ($1.5 billion) to help record numbers of unemployed youths find work.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said Friday the "Youth Contract" funds will be used to help create internships and pay for apprenticeships.
He said the goal of the plan is "to get every unemployed young person earning or learning again." Britain has a record 1.16 million 16 to 24-year-olds out of work, government figures showed earlier this week.
The government has pledged more help to disadvantaged youth since figures showed the bulk of rioters who looted and burned British cities in August were young people, many of whom were out of work.
Clegg said the contract will find 410,000 work places for 18 to 24-year-olds over the next three years.
© 2017 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.