Rexam collects over 6.5 tonnes of recyclable cans in its 10-week Community Can Challenge program, which challenged employees to work with local communities to recycle cans, raise money for charity
October 14, 2011
– Rexam Beverage Can Europe and Asia has announced the results of its Community Can Challenge, a scheme that challenged employees from 12 of Rexam’s European production plants across nine countries to work with their local communities to recycle cans and raise money for local charities.
Rexam strongly supports the idea of a new life for a can after use, particularly as beverage cans are 100% recyclable with no loss of quality and recycling a can saves 95% of the energy used in making a new can from virgin material. The Community Can Challenge was developed to give Rexam employees a chance to become more involved in Rexam’s wider environmental commitment and help to educate local communities about the importance of recycling.
Tomas Sjölin, Sector Director of Rexam Beverage Can Europe and Asia, commented on the Challenge: “Rexam is fully dedicated to its environmental responsibility and the main aim of the challenge was to encourage can recycling and boost recycling rates, but it has also been a great opportunity to use some healthy competition to build a sense of community across our European teams.
“Each plant involved appointed Recycling Teams and were given guides and materials to help them encourage both their colleagues and local communities to participate. The Challenge was a great success and most importantly we have got the local community to join us in being committed to recycling the can.”
Each plant team worked with a local charity to promote the Challenge, and plants competed in a number of categories to win a share of €10,000 to give to their chosen charity. The following plants received awards for their efforts:
• Milton Keynes (UK)- Weight Award for collecting over 2 tonnes of cans
• Manisa (Turkey) – PR Award for creating the most significant publicity campaign
• Ejpovice (Czech Republic) & Valdemorillo (Spain) – Innovation Award for developing strong campaigns to overcome obstacles in their countries.
• Individual employeesfrom Milton Keynes, Manisa and Enzesfeld (Austria) were all awarded prizes for considerable contribution to their campaigns.
Over 10 weeks Rexam employees collected over 6.5 tonnes of cans; that equates to nearly 400,000 cans and 58 tonnes of CO2. The sale of collected cans has also helped to raise around £5,000 for chosen charities in addition to the prize money which Rexam provided