Cabot issues sustainability report for fiscal years 2010, 2011; highlights include investing US$400M through 2020 to achieve 20% reduction of GHGs on intensity basis from 2005 baseline
October 17, 2011
– Cabot Corp. (NYSE:CBT - News) has issued its sustainability report for fiscal years 2010 and 2011.
The report, titled “Sustainability Matters,” is now available online at www.cabot-corp.com.
“Operating in a sustainable way is one of the most important challenges of our time,” said Cabot President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick Prevost. “Our products play a vital role in meeting many of society’s transportation, infrastructure and energy needs. At the same time, we understand the manufacture of critical industrial products such as ours comes with an environmental footprint.
“We’re committed to reducing our footprint while meeting these societal needs, especially through the use of innovation,” Prevost said. “We are creating new products and processes that are designed to lower our environmental impact and that of our customers."
Highlights from Cabot’s sustainability report, which covers fiscal years 2010 and 2011, include the following:
* Cabot is committed to a 20-percent reduction of greenhouse gas emissions on an intensity basis by 2020, based on the company’s 2005 emission levels.
* Cabot will invest $400 million between now and 2020 to reduce its carbon footprint. The investments will be primarily focused on improving Cabot’s energy consumption and product yields, which will also provide attractive returns to Cabot in the form of reduced energy costs.
* In 2010, and through the spring of 2011, Cabot donated about $2 million in direct and in-kind support to a wide-range of programs aimed to improve science and technology literacy, and health and human services.
* Cabot maintains one of the best safety records among global manufacturing organizations. In 2010, Cabot’s Total Recordable Incident Rate (which is the total number of incidents per 200,000 hours worked) was 0.34, down from 0.40 in 2009.
* Cabot’s research and development team has created new product and process applications that are contributing to sustainability advances in several industries, including new energy, construction, transportation and infrastructure. One example is Cabot’s aerogel, which is the lightest and best insulating solid in the world. Cabot is also working on performance materials to better enable the manufacturing of blades for windmills, and improve the performance of batteries.
* Cabot’s tantalum supply chain was declared free of conflict materials by an independent third-party auditor assigned by the Electronics Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) and Global e-Sustainability Initiative. Cabot was the first tantalum supplier to earn this recognition.
CABOT’S SUSTAINABILITY REPORT DEVELOPED IN CONFORMANCE WITH GLOBAL REPORTING INITIATIVE’S REPORTING FRAMEWORK
Cabot developed its report in conformance with Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) comprehensive Sustainability Reporting Framework. Widely used around the world, GRI’s framework enables greater organizational transparency by establishing principles and indicators that global organizations can use to measure and report their economic, environmental, and social performance.
“Our sustainability report is an important part of our commitment to transparency with our stakeholders,” said Prevost. “We want our economic, environmental, and social sustainability efforts to be fully understood by our employees, customers and neighbors.”
Cabot also reported its 2010 greenhouse gas emissions to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), which represents the company’s third consecutive year of reporting. CDP promotes the disclosure of GHG emission data by the world’s largest corporations to create the most comprehensive repository of GHG emissions data. The data are then made available to institutional investors, business leaders, policy makers, and the general public.
ABOUT CABOT CORPORATION
Cabot Corporation, headquartered in Boston, Mass., USA, is a global specialty chemical and performance materials company. Cabot’s major products are carbon black, fumed silica, inkjet colorants, aerogel, capacitor materials, and cesium formate drilling fluids. The company’s website is: www.cabot-corp.com.
© 2017 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.