BP says Halliburton lawsuit is company's latest attempt to divert attention from its role in Deepwater Horizon explosion, Gulf of Mexico oil spill, deflect all blame to BP, which will contest Halliburton's claims

LONDON , September 7, 2011 (press release) – BP is aware of the claims filed against the company on 1 September 2011 by Halliburton. The company is now reviewing the contents of the claims and until this is complete cannot comment in detail.

However, BP believes this lawsuit is the latest attempt by Halliburton to divert attention from its role in the Deepwater Horizon incident and its failure to meet its responsibilities, and to deflect all blame to BP. BP will vigorously contest the claims should they come to court.

BP has co-operated with the various investigation bodies, providing detailed information. Investigations published so far have concluded that multiple parties contributed to the incident, including Halliburton.

Multiple independent investigations have identified serious problems with the cementing of the well as a potential contributory factor to the Deepwater Horizon disaster – not only BP’s own investigation.

BP has accepted its responsibility for responding to the spill and is accordingly paying costs and compensation. In contrast Halliburton has refused to accept any responsibility or accountability. As BP has said repeatedly, it expects other parties to accept their responsibilities and bear their share of the costs.

* All content is copyrighted by Industry Intelligence, or the original respective author or source. You may not recirculate, redistrubte or publish the analysis and presentation included in the service without Industry Intelligence's prior written consent. Please review our terms of use.