Balfour Beatty Construction to co-host Building Information Modeling Expo in Salford, U.K. on June 21-22
June 21, 2011
– On June 21 and 22, Balfour Beatty Construction is co-hosting the first Balfour Beatty BIM Expo in Salford, UK. The event will bring together more than 80 participants from Balfour Beatty companies around the world to discuss how Building Information Modeling (BIM) and integrated design, construction, and operation can take the company—and the construction industry—to the next level in collaboration and technology.
By using BIM, contractors can improve productivity, accuracy, quality, and worker safety. But in a 2010 McGraw Hill SmartMarket report, researchers found that while 50 percent of U.S. contractors have adopted BIM, only 24 percent of Western European contractors have done the same.
According to Mark Konchar, corporate vice president of National Integration and an organizer of the BIM Expo, Balfour Beatty plc stands out as an organization that has embraced BIM, working to forge a global BIM community and develop a BIM roadmap for each of its companies.
“We’ve successfully implemented BIM on several of our projects in the U.S.,” said Konchar. “Our sister companies in Europe are eager to share and learn with us. It’s an exciting opportunity to harness our collective potential and become the worldwide leader in project integration.”
At the BIM Expo, participants will share best practices and take part in practical workshops. The event will include more than 30 educational sessions on topics such as the following:
* How integrated design, construction, and operation will change the construction industry
* How to participate in BIMStorms and reap benefits of virtual design and collaboration
* How a field application like VELA can help contractors access data
* How BIM can work with facility management technology to benefit clients
Session leaders will include representatives from Balfour Beatty, Autodesk, Bentley, Vela Systems, Onuma, Survey Solutions Scotland, Tekla, and the University of Salford.
Presenters and attendees at the BIM Expo will be reporting live from the event via Twitter. To follow the event, follow @BalfourB_BIM on Twitter (event hashtag:#balfourbeattybimexpo). To view some of Balfour Beatty’s BIM training videos, visit the company’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/balfourbeattyus.
About Balfour Beatty Construction
A leader in the U.S. commercial construction industry, Balfour Beatty Construction provides general contracting, at-risk construction management, and design-build services through 2,100 professionals nationwide. For the past two years, the company has been cited as a Top 10 Green Builder by Engineering-News Record and as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® by FORTUNE magazine. The company is part of London-based Balfour Beatty plc, a global leader in professional services, construction services, support services, and infrastructure investment, with more than $18 billion in annual revenues. To learn more about the company and its subsidiaries—Barnhart Balfour Beatty, Charter Builders, and SpawMaxwell—visit www.balfourbeattyus.com.
© 2020 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.