Consumer products maker Jarden launches Mr. Coffee machine using Keurig single-serve K-cup system, says about 60% of single-serve coffee machines are sold during holiday season
BOCA RATON, Florida
November 18, 2010
– Mr. Coffee®, the timeless coffeemaker brand in more American households than any other for more than 35 years, has marked its entry into the booming single serve coffeemaker category. Born from its 2009 license and distribution agreement with category pioneer Keurig®, the brand has launched the Mr. Coffee® Single Serve, which for the first time ever offers consumers highly coveted Keurig® brewing technology at a great value.
Single Serve products, also known as “on demand” machines, afford consumers the convenience of brewing individual cups of coffee, espresso and other hot beverages at home by placing K-cup® portion packs, soft pods, disks or cartridges into countertop machines.
The single serve phenomenon has swept across the nation, becoming the fastest-growing coffee segment with sales of single-cup coffeemakers increasing 155 percent to over $200 million compared to the 52-week period ending September 2010, according to The NPD Group, Inc.’s consumer tracking service.
“The single serve coffeemaker category has experienced unprecedented growth, particularly over the last 12 months, with a number of well-known brands unveiling new offerings,” stated Corey Jacobson, Director of Product Marketing for the Mr. Coffee® brand. “Our product is uniquely positioned within the sector, delivering the premium technology of Keurig’s patented, powerful brewing engine under the highly trusted, value-oriented Mr. Coffee® brand.”
The brand has high expectations for sales of the new Mr. Coffee® Single Serve product entering into the holiday season, when sales of single serve machines have historically soared. According to market-research firm The NPD Group Inc., 58% of pod machine sales occur during November and December.
There’s no doubt single-cup at-home brewing saves consumers’ money over a trip to the coffeehouse, but until now, the initial investment in the machine ranged up to $500 or more. The new Mr. Coffee® Single Serve MSRP is $79.99.
“Today’s consumer lives a fast-paced lifestyle, demanding conveniences that aren’t always affordable,” added Jacobson. “The launch of our newest product demonstrates the Mr. Coffee® brand’s continued commitment to delivering on-trend products with the most innovative technology while controlling prices to ensure it qualifies as a smart value for the consumer.”
In addition to being fully powered by Keurig® first-rate brewing technology, the Mr. Coffee® Single Serve also uses patented single serve K-Cup® portion packs to brew individual 8-ounce servings of coffee, tea or hot cocoa in less than three minutes. The Mr. Coffee® Single Serve launched in October 2010 and is available at Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, JCPenney and Lowe’s, as well as online at Amazon.com and MrCoffee.com.
The Mr. Coffee® brand formed a license and distribution agreement with Keurig® in 2009 to jointly develop single-cup coffeemakers to be sold alongside other Mr. Coffee® products. Through this agreement, the Mr. Coffee® brand is able to provide another solution for consumers, satisfying their demand, while continuing to expand the brand’s portfolio of products at a great value.
About Jarden Consumer Solutions
Jarden Corporation is a leading provider of niche consumer products. Jarden operates in three primary business segments through a number of well recognized brands, including: Outdoor Solutions: Abu Garcia®, Berkley®, Campingaz® and Coleman®, Fenwick®, Gulp! ®, K2®, Marker®, Marmot®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Rawlings®, Shakespeare®, Stearns®, Stren®, Trilene®, Völkl ®, and Zoot®; Consumer Solutions: Bionaire®, Crock-Pot®, FoodSaver®, Health o meter®, Holmes®, Mr. Coffee®, Oster®, Patton®, Rival®, Seal-a-Meal®, Sunbeam®, VillaWare® and White Mountain®; and Branded Consumables: Ball®, Bee®, Bicycle®, Billy Boy®, Crawford®, Diamond®, Dicon®, Fiona®, First Alert®, First Essentials®, Forster®, Hoyle®, Kerr®, Lehigh®, Leslie-Locke®, Lillo®, Loew Cornell®, Mapa®, NUK®, Pine Mountain®, Spontex® and Tigex®. Headquartered in Rye, N.Y., Jarden has over 25,000 employees worldwide. For more information, please visit www.jarden.com.
Single Serve Coffee Makers Are A Singular Sensation!
Category Facts About the Single Serve Phenomenon
* Currently, only about 7% of U.S. households have a single serve coffee machine, according to market-research firm The NPD Group, Inc.
* About 60% of single serve coffee machines are sold during the holiday months.
* Single Serve coffeemakers are quickly growing in the marketplace, making up 8% of unit share in 2010, up from 3% of unit share in 2008; and making up 21% of dollar share in 2010 up from 8% of dollar share in 2008.
* First time buyers account for 70% of single serve coffeemaker sales and the majority of sales are planned not impulse buys.
* Sales of single serve coffeemakers increased by more than four times during the 2009 holiday season, compared to Q4 2008, with single serve machines, waffle makers and stand mixers considered among the most ‘giftable’ categories by consumers.
* Single Serve coffeemaker purchases are affluent on average: 32% earn between $100,000 and $149,000; 17% earn over $150,000; 37% of users live in the Northeast and the majority of pod coffeemaker users are between 35-44 years old.
* Business offices are the largest buyers of Single Serve coffeemakers because this is more economical compared with brewing a whole pot.
* According to the 2009 National Coffee Drinking Trends survey, 54% of the overall adult population consumes a coffee beverage daily.
* Coffee preparation at home is up 5%, with 83% of past-day coffee drinkers reporting they made coffee at home the day before.
© 2020 Business Wire, Inc., All rights reserved.