Domtar will make 90% of Xerox-branded paper after it acquires Xerox's paper, print media business in US, Canada, still considering if it will produce the remaining 10%, which is low-volume specialty papers, says Xerox executive

Debra Garcia

Debra Garcia

Mar 25, 2013 – The Canadian Press

MONTREAL , March 23, 2013 () – North American paper giant Domtar Corp. is acquiring Xerox's paper and print media products business in Canada and the United States for an undisclosed price.

The company said Friday it will add Xerox's branded papers and specialty products to its own offerings, but declined to provide many other details about the deal, except that it would be paid for with cash on hand.

Xerox said it sells about $281 million worth of paper annually at very low margins.

Domtar CEO John Williams said the Xerox brand is well regarded in the markets it serves.

"This deal brings together Xerox's branded papers with Domtar's already comprehensive paper offering and will allow us to better serve our customers," he said.

Known mainly for photocopiers, Xerox doesn't make its branded paper. Instead, it uses a number of producers across North America including Domtar and reportedly Resolute Forest Products.

U.S.-based Xerox said it decided to sell the paper business to an industry leader as it focuses more on services and document technology.

Xerox company spokesman John Quinn said the sale will have an impact on about 75 Xerox employees across North America, including 20 to 25 sales and support workers located primarily in Toronto.

Quinn said it has started the process to determine how many will become part of Domtar's operations.

After the deal closes, 90 per cent of the paper will be produced by Domtar, while 10 per cent of very low-volume specialty papers are under evaluation, he added.

Xerox sells a range of coated and uncoated papers, and specialty products including business forms and wide-format paper. It will continue to manufacture and sell toner, ink and Xerox replacement cartridges.

The sale is expected to close in the second quarter.

Domtar manufactures, markets and distributes communication papers, specialty and packaging papers and adult incontinence products. Its shares closed up 18 cents at $79.55 on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Friday.

* All content is copyrighted by Industry Intelligence, or the original respective author or source. You may not recirculate, redistrubte or publish the analysis and presentation included in the service without Industry Intelligence's prior written consent. Please review our terms of use.

Share:

About Us

We deliver market news & information relevant to your business.

We monitor all your market drivers.

We aggregate, curate, filter and map your specific needs.

We deliver the right information to the right person at the right time.

Our Contacts

1990 S Bundy Dr. Suite #380,
Los Angeles, CA 90025 795

+1 (310) 558 0008
+1 (310) 558 0080 (FAX)

About Cookies On This Site

We collect data, including through use of cookies and similar technology ("cookies") that enchance the online experience. By clicking "I agree", you agree to our cookies, agree to bound by our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. For more information on our data practices and how to exercise your privacy rights, please see our Privacy Policy.