Sixty-two percent of American men starting to exercise more, 53% choosing healthier snacks, survey says
EAST HANOVER, New Jersey
April 18, 2012
– In the last several years, a lot has changed in the lives of men. In fact, a recent survey from Planters, America's favorite snack nut brand, found that men are grocery shopping more (88 percent), taking care of household chores more (86 percent) and are more involved in child care (82 percent). Additionally, they're taking steps to stay healthy by starting to exercise more (62 percent) and choosing healthier snacks (53 percent). The modern man is busier than ever and he's looking to get the best out of life and take care of himself. To help guys meet this need, Planters joined forces with the editors at the world's largest men's magazine, Men's Health, to create a new NUT-rition mix made with men in mind. New Planters NUT-rition Men's Health® Recommended Mix features a carefully crafted blend of three nuts men love -- almonds, peanuts, and pistachios -- and contains six grams of protein and six vitamins and minerals per one ounce serving.
"Men are grocery shopping more, and they want a healthy snack that they can feel confident putting in their cart," said Scott Marcus, senior brand manager for Planters. "Our research shows that what men love about nuts is they see them as both healthy and manly. So, our nutritionists and developers teamed up with Men's Health magazine, a trusted and respected authority on nutrition and manliness, to create what we think is an ideal, nutritious snack."
"This is our first time working with a snack brand, and the product had to meet the high standards our readers know to expect from us," said Ronan Gardiner, Publisher of Men's Health. "Our food and nutrition editor worked closely with the team at Planters to meet this goal, and together they've succeeded in creating a tasty mix that has the nutrients and protein that active guys want."
A one-ounce serving of Planters NUT-rition Men's Health Recommended Mix provides six grams of protein, six vitamins and minerals, including antioxidant vitamin E, niacin, phosphorus, magnesium, copper and manganese, and is a good source of dietary fiber. The product is now available nationwide at most grocery, mass and drug chains in cans and six-count multipacks. It is also available in on-the-go packs in convenience stores.
Life of the Modern Man
To commemorate the launch of the new mix, Planters commissioned the Planters Modern Man Index to reveal what makes today's man tick and dig deeper into how he has evolved.
* Overall, men's lives are evolving. More than ever, the modern man is engaged in work, family, and the home. Compared to five years ago, men believe their role has increased in:
o Grocery shopping (88 percent)
o Household chores (86 percent)
o Cooking (85 percent)
o Child rearing/child care (82 percent)
* Men are taking steps to stay healthy. Over the past five years, they have started to:
o Exercise (62 percent)
o Eat home cooked meals (55 percent)
o Choose healthier snacks (53 percent)
* About two-thirds of men choose to eat nuts because they are convenient (67 percent) and healthy (64 percent)
* While they're busier than ever, men still know what's meaningful in life. When asked who they'd like to share a bowl of nuts with, the most popular response was "my wife."
What's Manly Now?
The Planters Modern Man Index also determined what men consider manly across a variety of categories, including food, drink and sports.
* The highest percentage of men (26 percent) agrees that the peanut is the manliest nut.
* Men rated nuts as the second most "manly" snack after beef jerky, and the third "healthiest" snack after fruit and yogurt.
* Men believe the top manliest sports are:
o Football (72 percent)
o Hockey (35 percent)
o And a tie between basketball (16 percent) and baseball (16 percent)
* More than half of men surveyed voted beer as the manliest adult beverage (51 percent); bourbon neat (27 percent) and rum & cola (14 percent) round out the top three.
Mr. Peanut and the Men's Health® Recommended Mix Team
Mr. Peanut is teaming up with his friends -- Alejandro the Almond and a new pistachio character -- in an advertising campaign showcasing the new Planters NUT-rition Men's Health® Recommended Mix as the "manliest mix they've ever assembled." The team appears in a new commercial that began airing on April 16, and as the back cover stars of the May 2012 issue of Men's Health magazine. The campaign, developed by BEING, includes a new commercial, as well as new print, digital and social media creative, including integration into Men's Health mobile applications.
"Like" Mr. Peanut on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mrpeanut to check out the Men's Health Recommended Mix team and a chance to test your manliness against the team.
About Planters: Planters, America's leading snack nut brand, has a long history of pioneering industry firsts. This inventiveness is delivered through a diverse portfolio of nutritious and delicious plant-based snacks such as peanuts, cashews, almonds and other nuts. Planters NUT-rition offers a distinctive line of nut mixes that focus on specific nutritional needs. Planters Trail Mix blends roasted nuts, delicious fruit and other delicious ingredients to help fuel an active lifestyle.
About Kraft Foods: Kraft Foods Inc. (NYSE: KFT) is a global snacks powerhouse with an unrivaled portfolio of brands people love. Proudly marketing delicious biscuits, confectionery, beverages, cheese, grocery products and convenient meals in approximately 170 countries, Kraft Foods had 2011 revenue of $54.4 billion. Twelve of the company's iconic brands – Cadbury, Jacobs, Kraft, LU, Maxwell House, Milka, Nabisco, Oreo, Oscar Mayer, Philadelphia, Tang and Trident – generate revenue of more than $1 billion annually. On Aug. 4, 2011, Kraft Foods announced plans to divide and create two independent public companies: a high-growth global snacks business and a high-margin North American grocery business. The transaction is expected to be completed before the end of 2012. A leader in innovation, marketing, health & wellness and sustainability, Kraft Foods is a member of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Standard & Poor's 500, Dow Jones Sustainability Index and Ethibel Sustainability Index. Visit www.kraftfoodscompany.com and www.facebook.com/kraftfoodscorporate.
About Men's Health (www.menshealth.com): Men's Health is the go-to source for guys seeking the latest information and expert advice in their pursuit of a healthy and active lifestyle. Published 10 times a year in the U.S. by Rodale, Men's Health is the best-selling men's magazine on newsstands and provides its 12 million readers with up-to-the-minute information on health, fitness, fashion, nutrition, relationships, travel, technology and finance. Men's Health is the largest men's lifestyle magazine brand in the world, offering 40 global editions, a host of apps for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry subscribers, as well as branded books, eBooks and microsites. The magazine has garnered numerous industry accolades, winning National Magazine Awards in the general excellence and personal service categories as well as being deemed by Media Industry Newsletter as the "#1 Most Notable Magazine Launch of the Last 25 Years." Men's Health has also made several appearances on Advertising Age's "A List" and Adweek's "Hot List." For up-to-date news from Men's Health, visit www.menshealth.com, and get instant updates on Twitter (@MensHealthMag) and Facebook (Men's Health).