Americans will consume an average of 1,200 calories in snacks alone while watching Super Bowl, according to some estimates
FORT WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania
February 2, 2012
– By some estimates, Americans will consume an average of 1,200 calories during Sunday's big game in snacks alone. It's no wonder, Nutrisystem, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTRI), the leading home delivery weight loss program for men and women, has identified "Super Monday" -- the Monday after the final NFL game of the season -- as one of the biggest dieting decision days of the year. Based on the Company's proprietary data, both men and women (mostly wives) historically rally to inquire about the Nutrisystem® Men's Program post-game day.
Four-time Super Bowl champion, Terry Bradshaw, who lost 32 pounds on Nutrisystem, says, "It makes perfect sense. You go for the chips, you go long for the guacamole and you just keep going. Then, you wake up the next day and think, 'Man, I gotta do something I know will work. I need a winning game plan.'"
Football legend and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino added, "This is the time of year I get the most questions about Nutrisystem. It's a natural pivot coming out of what is invariably a high-calorie day for a lot of people."
"Many people resolve to lose weight on their own at the start of the New Year and right about now they realize -- understandably -- they could use some help and decide to turn to Nutrisystem. Nutrisystem customers reported losing 43% more weight than people dieting on their own," explains Joe Redling, Nutrisystem Chairman and CEO. "Monday is the biggest diet decision day of the week and Mondays after holiday weekends are even bigger. Game day for the final NFL football game of the season has become a national holiday of sorts and, for our business, it is a game-changer."
Game Day – Fun Food Facts
* Second Largest Food Consumption Day Behind Thanksgiving. (Source: USDA)
* Sunday, February 5 is expected to be the busiest day in the pizza business. (Source: Pizza Marketplace)
* Football fans consume an estimated 71 million pounds of avocados, mostly in guacamole. (Source: HAB)
Super Monday – Top Dieting Decision Day
* Every 1.5 seconds, men call or visit Nutrisystem on Super Monday.
* Super Monday is one of the top ten diet-decision days of the year for men.
* The most popular Nutrisystem item ordered by men on Super Monday is pasta with beef and for women, it's the fudge graham bar.
The Nutrisystem Men's Program launched in 2006 in response to a gap in commercial weight loss programs for men. Nutrisystem pioneered the first commercial weight loss program tailored to men in providing the right amount of food, variety and hunger control to keep men satisfied with convenient delivery right to their door. On Nutrisystem, men get to eat the foods they love, like pizza, ice cream, pasta and burgers, so they can lose weight without feeling deprived.
"There is a lot about the Nutrisystem program that appeals to men," explains Anthony Fabricatore, Ph.D., Senior Director of Research and Development at Nutrisystem. "You get a well laid-out, easy to understand plan that provides enough food to keep energy up and hunger down. You don't need to go to any meetings or step on a scale in front of people. You can have as much or as little support as you want. Perhaps best of all, since Nutrisystem food is low in glycemic index, men can still enjoy foods like pizza, burgers, pasta and ice cream without going on a blood sugar roller coaster. When an eating program helps you control your hunger without giving up food you love, you're more likely to stay on the program and achieve the success you want."
Dan Marino, who lost 22 pounds on the program, shares, "Nutrisystem sends great tasting food directly to my door. I just heat and eat."
Since the first Nutrisystem men's order was placed, Nutrisystem has helped men lose an estimated 21 million pounds.
Nutrisystem recently launched SUCCESS, the best program ever in the Company's 40 year history [ http://www.nutrisystemnews.com/2012/02/nutrisystem-celebrates-40-years-and-more-than-70-million-pounds-lost-over-the-past-decade/ ] and revealed its members – both male and female -- have lost more than an estimated 70 million pounds over the past decade, which is roughly the equivalent of 282,000 NFL players at an average weight of 252 pounds. Hall of Fame quarterbacks, Dan Marino and Terry Bradshaw serve as Nutrisystem Men spokespeople.
To view the 2012 Men's SUCCESS 7-day Sample Menu, please visit: http://www.nutrisystem.com/pdf/Sample_7DayMenu_MensPDF.pdf