Transocean, which owned drilling rig that exploded in Gulf of Mexico in 2010, argues in court documents that its contract with BP shields it from having to pay for offshore spill

Graziela Medina Shepnick

Graziela Medina Shepnick

Nov 1, 2011 – Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS , November 1, 2011 () – Transocean, the company that owned the drilling rig that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico last year, argued in court documents filed Tuesday that its contract with BP shields it from having to pay for the largest offshore spill in the nation's history.

In court documents filed in federal court in New Orleans, Transocean said it was operating under a contract with BP that contained "standard industry reciprocal indemnity language" and that BP promised to exempt Transocean from "fines and penalties."

A rig owned by Transocean, the Deepwater Horizon, exploded on April 20, 2010, as it was drilling off the Louisiana coast, killing 11 workers. More than 200 million gallons of oil subsequently spewed from a well a mile beneath the sea.

A trial designed to assign shares of fault to the companies is scheduled to start Feb. 27. The trial also is to determine whether rig owner Transocean can limit what it pays claimants under maritime law.

In a statement, Transocean Ltd., said BP PLC., had broken its contractual promises by suing Transocean.

"BP's posture in this matter is not only offensive to the thousands of men and women who work together at Transocean, but it constitutes a direct threat to the sanctity of contracts," said Nick Deeming, senior vice president and general counsel of Transocean. "If BP truly intends to make things right, it must either voluntarily or by the order of the court honor all of its contracts — not just the ones that serve its convenience or financial purposes."

In a statement, BP countered that Transocean's court filing showed it was "putting its own interests ahead of the people and communities of the Gulf and seeking to obscure its role in the Deepwater Horizon accident."

BP said the offshore drilling company was trying to avoid paying its "share of any damages or governmental fines and penalties stemming from its failure to monitor and control the Macondo well."

Federal regulators said BP, Transocean and Halliburton — three companies working on digging the well — were at fault for alleged safety and environmental violations.

A report issued in March by the panel of government investigators said BP bears ultimate responsibility for the disaster because it ignored crucial warnings and made bad decisions during the cementing of the well. But the report also said Transocean and Halliburton shared some of the blame.

© 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Share:

About Us

We deliver market news & information relevant to your business.

We monitor all your market drivers.

We aggregate, curate, filter and map your specific needs.

We deliver the right information to the right person at the right time.

Our Contacts

1990 S Bundy Dr. Suite #380,
Los Angeles, CA 90025 795

+1 (310) 558 0008
+1 (310) 558 0080 (FAX)

About Cookies On This Site

We collect data, including through use of cookies and similar technology ("cookies") that enchance the online experience. By clicking "I agree", you agree to our cookies, agree to bound by our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our Privacy Policy. For more information on our data practices and how to exercise your privacy rights, please see our Privacy Policy.