Breakfast items available at 49% of US restaurants, according to new report; approximately 33% of restaurant chains offer breakfast, compared to just 20% of independents
May 22, 2014
– Food Genius has released their most recent Industry Report called Breakfast Insights of Champions: Menu Trends and Insights. Breakfast is widely considered to be the most important meal of the day and has recently gained traction with notable breakfast menu roll outs from major chain restaurants such as Taco Bell and White Castle. Breakfast Insights of Champions examines the landscape of breakfast with insights on chain and independent restaurants, as well as the influences of healthy and ethnic flavors within the breakfast segment.
"We see significant opportunities for operators - both independents and chains - around the breakfast day part," states Food Genius CEO, Justin Massa. "While the QSR breakfast market is becoming saturated, there is certainly opportunity for casual and family dining restaurants to expand into breakfast." Massa points out a few areas of opportunity "For those already offering breakfast, exploring both healthy menu items and Latin American influences could be just the trick for rejuvenating lagging sales. While both are growing with breakfast, their growth is lagging behind lunch and dinner meal parts," notes Massa.
Key insights from Breakfast Insights of Champions Industry Report:
• Breakfast is available at 49% of restaurant locations nationwide.
• Availability of breakfast has been steadily increasing over the past year with a 5 percentage point increase in the number of locations offering breakfast. This is a 13% relative growth in just 9 months.
• Approximately 1 in 3 chains offer breakfast, while only 1 in 5 independents offer breakfast.
• The QSR segment is the most over-represented market in breakfast, while casual dining and upscale segments are significantly under-represented.
Food Genius recently unveiled their new website which now offers complete a resources section filled with downloadable insights at your fingertips. See the new look at http://www.getfoodgenius.com.
Breakfast Insights of Champions: Menu Trends and Insights highlights data sourced from Q1'14 Food Genius Reports, an insights platform and data dashboard that tracks menus from across the United States. For more information about Breakfast Insights of Champions: Menu Trends and Insights, or to receive your complimentary copy, please contact Eli Rosenberg, eli(at)getfoodgenius(dot)com. Ongoing insights from the Food Genius team will be published on the Food Genius blog http://blog.getfoodgenius.com.