Appleton Coated adds Curious Matter paper to its Curious Collection swatchbook, which now showcases seven paper grades that are textured with rich matte surface and deep colors; patented process uses potato waste to give Curious Matter its texture
COMBINED LOCKS, Wisconsin
May 1, 2014
– The new Curious Collection® swatchbook welcomes Curious Matter® and expands to showcase seven grades of touchable, tantalizing sheets to pique creative professionals’ interests. Complementing the other grades of multi-sensory papers in Curious Collection, Curious Matter is an avant-garde, uniquely textured paper made with potato starch.
“Curious Matter provides an unexpected texture with a richly matte surface and deep, ultra-pigmented colors,” says Ferkó X. Goldinger, marketing manager. “Curious Matter’s texture is achieved through a revolutionary, patented process where potato waste, up-cycled from the food industry, is metamorphosed into a sophisticated and tactile paper. The raw potato starch used in this process is a by-product of the food industry and is released from the processing of potatoes into chips and fries.”
The entire Curious Collection, all seven grades, now carries the Green Power designation. Renewable energy credits (RECS) from Green-e® certified energy sources are purchased to offset 100% of the electricity used to manufacture these products. The Curious Collection is also Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC® C007796) certified and manufactured in ISO 14001 facilities.
The swatchbook’s striking imagery highlights the distinctive texture of the Curious Matter Goya White cover. The textured cover offsets the silky smoothness of SKIN Curious Collection Extra White for the internal booklet. Goldinger describes the swatchbook’s grades as:
- Curious Metallics – glittering alloy effects with a luminescent sheen offering a play of light
- Curious Cosmic® – otherworldly cover-only sheet with a remarkable soft matte metal effect
- SKIN Curious Collection® – exuding touchability with vibrant, even, matte colors and a smooth, sensual texture
- Curious Translucents – natural translucent papers that layer a sophisticated veil of show-through seduction
- Curious Particles – 100% recycled papers filled with gold, silver or white flecks that add interest and sparkle
- Curious Touch – featuring a warm, fuzzy feel reminiscent of a peach or ripe Camembert
The new Curious Collection swatchbook is available by calling 888-488-6742.
Appleton Coated offers the most comprehensive line-up of premium, coated papers available today marketed under the Utopia brand. From the elegance of Premium to hardworking Utopia Three, the Utopia family of coated papers offers six ways to ignite a passion for paper and the environment. The Curious Collection of fine papers are manufactured by Arjowiggins, headquartered in Paris, France, and distributed exclusively in North America by Appleton Coated. Appleton Coated is headquartered in Combined Locks, Wisconsin.