TGI Friday's 'Endless Appetizers' Promotion Is Endlessly Brilliant
LOS ANGELES, July 16, 2014
(Off The Menu)
– TGI Friday’s recent announcement that it would offer “endless appetizers” through Aug. 24 may at first glance seem like just another restaurant promotion. But keep an eye on this one, because it could very well set a trend for deals on appetizers moving forward.
For the next five-and-a-half weeks, Friday’s is offering unlimited refills of one of seven different appetizers for $10. It’s a brilliant promotion. Here’s why:
• Higher alcohol sales. Appetizers are consumed throughout a restaurant’s lunch and dinner hours, but they’re most often purchased during a restaurant’s “Happy Hour” when people first get off work and look to meet their friends for a drink and a quick bite to unwind. Happy Hour is where you also see a lot of alcohol sales. And if customers are more inclined to stay longer with unlimited appetizers, they’re also more inclined to purchase more specialty drinks.
• More appetizer sales. OK, at first that sounds obvious. Of course Friday’s will sell more appetizers because of this promotion! But many customers won’t settle for just one type of appetizer, especially if they’re with a group of people. They’ll order multiple appetizers to satisfy their group’s various tastes. And why not? The promotion’s price and “endless” option will encourage them to do so. Customers will be more inclined to get more than one appetizer because the price isn’t a turn-off and because of the potential quantity.
• Perfect pricing. Speaking of pricing, $10 for unlimited potato skins or mozzarella sticks is just right. Most customers will consider it a fair price, and even if some customers decide to have endless buffalo wings as their main meal, Friday’s serves several entrees around the $10 mark. So while technically, this promotion could cause customers to not get an entrée, the price point is high enough that the purchase of the appetizer is really like purchasing an entrée anyway.
Nevin Barich is the Food and Beverage Analyst for Industry Intelligence. Email him here or follow him on Twitter here.
Related News: this box contains exclusive content that is accessible only to Industry Intelligence subscribers. Click a link to learn more.
- Chipotle to offer US$3 burritos, bowls, salads and tacos on Oct. 31 from 3 p.m. to closing for all customers who are wearing costumes for Halloween
- Popeyes announces offering of the US$4 Wicked Good Deal, consisting of twisted, thin chicken strips, choice of side, buttermilk biscuit and dipping sauce; meal available throughout October
- Pizza Hut offering two medium pizzas of any recipe with any toppings for US$6.99 each for the month of October in celebration of National Pizza Month
- Dairy Queen's US$5 Buck Lunch deal now an all-day offer for a limited time through Oct. 31; the offer--which launched in 2013--includes an entrée, regular fries, a 21oz. beverage and a DQ sundae
- Dunkin' Donuts announces offering of medium hot coffee for US$0.66 on Sept. 29 in celebration of National Coffee Day