Upcoming Webinar Highlights Importance Of Offering Healthier Items In Wake Of Obesity Epidemic
LOS ANGELES, November 5, 2013
(Off The Menu)
– Tomorrow, my company Industry Intelligence will be hosting a webinar with Helen Munday, Director of Scientific and Regulatory Affairs for Coca-Cola in North West Europe, in which Munday will discuss the role and responsibility that food and beverage manufacturers have in helping consumers make healthy choices.
To say this is a timely topic is an understatement. According to a recent report from the Trust for America’s Health (TFAH) and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 13 U.S. states now have adult obesity rates above 30%, with 41 states having rates of at least 25% and every state being above 20%. In 1980, no state had obesity rate above 15%.
These are statistics that the food and beverage industry can’t ignore. Obesity is on the rise both in the U.S. and the rest of the world. As a result, there’s both a need and a desire for healthier options, and the industry can and must play a key role in this regard.
There’s always going to be an audience for fattening items. Chips, cookies, sodas: These and other such items will always have high popularity. That said, food and beverage companies have to diversify with healthier products, both to target the growing obese customer base and to show the public that they’re not ignoring the problem.
Nevin Barich is the Food & Beverage Analyst for Industry Intelligence. He can be reached at email@example.com
Industry Intelligence will be hosting an exclusive and free i2live webinar entitled: "The role and responsibility of manufacturers in informing consumer choices " on Nov. 6 at 11 a.m. PT/ 2 p.m. ET. Registration here
Related News: this box contains exclusive content that is accessible only to Industry Intelligence subscribers. Click a link to learn more.
- Six companies from Agrokor--Agrolaguna, Belje, Jamnica, Ledo, PIK Vrbovec and Zvijezda--present during SIAL Paris food exhibition Oct. 16-20
- Agropur to host the Alpha Summit whey protein event in Shanghai on Oct. 18; second session to take place in Singapore on Oct. 20
- S&D Coffee & Tea to present at the Multi-Unit Foodservice Operators Conference in Dallas Oct. 23-25
- Snyder's-Lance announces appointment of Alexander Pease as EVP and CFO, effective Nov. 1; Pease to replace Rick Puckett, who previously announced that he was retiring
- Blue Buffalo Pet Products to participate in the Barclays 2016 Consumer Staples Conference on Sept. 8