Professor McDonald's Continues To Take Its Competitors To School
LOS ANGELES, May 1, 2013
(Off The Menu)
– McDonald’s is a genius. There’s no other word that can better describe the biggest fast-food chain in the world. It does the most obvious things that its customers will instantly love and its competitors have no choice but to follow.
Its latest creation, breakfast sandwiches made with egg whites instead of eggs, is a perfect example of this. It has taken its popular morning sandwiches and offered a simple change aimed at an increasing base of health-conscious consumers.
Genius. Pure genius.
I mean, this can’t possibly fail at any level. Many of its morning customers will love the new “healthy” choice, the company receives publicity for offering lower-calorie options, and its competitors are going to have no choice but to offer egg-white sandwiches of their own in order to keep their share of the breakfast market.
And here’s the funny thing: McDonald’s isn’t the first major fast-food chain to offer egg whites. Subway beat them to the punch long ago. But fast-food chains don’t pay attention to what Subway does. Subway is more niche with its menu offerings. But when McDonald’s does something, everyone follows suit.
And they’re such obvious things:
McDonald’s Happy Meals? Now everyone offers some sort of kids meal.
McDonald’s combo meals? Now such meals are the norm across the entire fast-food chain?
I yearn for the day that Ronald McDonald starts hawking chili dogs on TV so that everyone else will start selling them too.
And now we have egg white McMuffins.
McDonald’s: Genius. Pure genius.
Nevin Barich is the Food & Beverage Analyst for IndustryIntel. In his mind, McDonald’s can simply do no wrong. He can be reached at email@example.com
Related News: this box contains exclusive content that is accessible only to Industry Intelligence subscribers. Click a link to learn more.
- Farmer Boys announces launch of its Very Important Farmer Loyalty Club, where customers can earn one point for every dollar spent and receive US$5 for every 60 points earned
- Amazon announces offering of free one-hour restaurant delivery service to its Amazon Prime members in Brooklyn, New York
- Bojangles' introduces new Cheddar Bo with Country Ham Biscuit, featuring two slices of melted cheddar cheese and ham on a buttermilk biscuit, available for a limited time
- Krispy Kreme to offer Pumpkin Spice Original Glazed doughnuts at its US and Canadian stores on Oct. 26 in celebration of National Pumpkin Day
- Starbucks Canada announces that Brookfield Place in Toronto is the first location to launch Nitro Cold Brew, with more locations to come across Canada over the next several months; beverage is a cold brew coffee infused with nitrogen