McDonald's Expansion of Breakfast Hours a Step Toward Serving Long-Ignored Outcry of All-Day Egg McMuffins
LOS ANGELES, August 15, 2012
(Off the menu)
– There’s a reason why a lot of casual-dining restaurants offer breakfast all day long: Because people like having the option of eating bacon and eggs whenever they want. Sometimes, a good cheese omelet for dinner really hits the spot.
For whatever reason, however, major fast-food chains have been slow—excruciatingly slow—to serve breakfast items at times other than breakfast. While Jack in the Box is an exception (they’ve been serving their breakfast food all day long since the mid-1990s, according to one company official), major quick-service establishments limit their morning fare to…well, the morning.
That’s why it’s nice to see McDonald’s Corp. begin expanding its breakfast hours. The burger chain recently announced that it was going to offer its line of breakfast items starting at midnight at select markets. Boston, Denver and most of central Ohio are among the markets either participating or exploring the option.
Frankly, I don’t know what took McDonald’s so long. For that matter, what’s taking Burger King and Carl’s Jr. so long to get on board? If there’s a market for breakfast food at all hours for casual-restaurant diners, why not for fast-food diners as well?
Know this: Most people who eat pancakes for dinner at IHOP are the same people who venture to fast-food establishments on a regular or semi-regular basis. So it stands to reason that if you like breakfast at odd times at one place, you’ll like breakfast at odd times at another place.
McDonald’s hasn’t gone all in like Jack in the Box and made Egg McMuffins available at any time. But the fact that they’re expanding breakfast hours in some markets might entice their peers to do the same. After all: McDonald’s is the biggest fast-food chain in the world, and you always follow the leader.
Nevin Barich is the Food & Beverage Analyst for Industry Intelligence Inc., a market intelligence and information management firm based in Los Angeles. Nevin is also excited to have a chance to satisfy his late-night Egg McMuffin cravings. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Related News: this box contains exclusive content that is accessible only in our i2daily and i2dashboard products. Click a link to sign up for a free i2daily trial today.
- Sbarro to add 20% more 100% whole milk mozzarella to all of its pizzas
- Papa John's offering coupon for free large one-topping pizza with purchase of US$25 gift card through Dec. 31; coupons valid through Jan. 25, 2015
- White Castle announces several holiday deals, including US$5 promo card for every US$25 spent on White Castle gift cards; promo cards valid from Jan. 1, 2015-Feb. 28, 2015
- Dunkin' Donuts reaches 2 million loyalty program members, surpasses more than 10 million downloads of its mobile app for mobile payments and gifting
- Papa John's announces limited-time offerings of Philly Cheesesteak Pizza and The Salvation Army Red Kettle Cookie; portion of proceeds from cookie sales will go to Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign